Charlotte County, FL Logo

18500 Murdock Circle
Port Charlotte, FL 33948

Mobile Menu close icon
close search

What Does Or Does Not Require A Permit


Although the work listed below does not require a permit, a licensed contractor may still be needed. The owner of the property has a right to perform work below but should the owner decide to hire someone, a licensed contractor may be required where noted.

A handyman is not a licensed contractor so please refer to the link below as to what a handyman can do.

Also refer to our Consumer Guide to working with contractors.

Section 105.1 Required. The Florida Building Code requires a permit as follows:

Any owner or owner's authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any impact resistant coverings, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit.

Exception For Certain Mechanical Work

Permits shall not be required for the following mechanical work:

  • Any portable heating appliance;
  • Any portable ventilation equipment;
  • Any portable cooling unit;
  • Any steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this Code;
  • Replacement of any part which does not alter its approval or make it unsafe;
  • Any portable evaporative cooler;
  • Any self-contained refrigeration system containing 1 lb or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.
  • The installation, replacement, removal or metering of any load management control device.

Work Not Requiring a Permit

Permits shall not be required for the following work:

  • Commercial low voltage burglar, security, cable TV and phone installations. (contractor required).
  • Commercial painting.
  • Commercial pressure washing.
  • Residential awnings (wall mounted only) on single family or duplex dwellings (note: a permit is required on multifamily dwellings and commercial buildings). (contractor required)
  • Residential cabinet installation or removal. (contractor required)
  • Residential drywall repair if located outside of a Flood Zone. (contractor required)
  • Residential drywall repair if located inside a Flood Zone and the repair is 100 sq. ft. or less. However, if the repair is located both inside a Flood Zone and the repair is greater than 100 sq. ft., then a permit is required accompanied by a floor plan sketch showing where the work is located. (contractor required)
  • Residential landscaping, excluding sprinklers.
  • Residential landscaping retaining walls, provided the wall holds back soil only, requires a building permit. If 47”or less in height, only a Zoning review is needed. If 48” or more in height, engineering plans need to be provided and both a Building and a Zoning review is needed.
  • Residential floor covering installation or removal such as carpet, tile or laminate.
  • Residential floor sheathing repairs less than 100 sq. ft. where the work does not include repairs to structural floor joists.
  • Residential low voltage installations to include security, cable TV and phone. (contractor required)
  • Residential painting.
  • Residential paneling.
  • Residential pergolas provided they are a single, free standing (not attached to any other structure) having a maximum dimension of 12 ft. x 12 ft. with no footings required, with no roofing or sheathing, with no electric or plumbing and which complies with the Zoning Ordinance (please call Zoning at 941.743.1964).
  • Residential pressure washing.
  • Residential satellite dishes (concrete slab must have permit).
  • Residential sheds manufactured of plastic or rubber, 68 sq. ft. or less in area. However, they must comply with zoning setbacks and must be moved and secured if there is the threat of a tropical storm.
  • Residential siding installation (under 100 sq. ft.). (contractor required)
  • Residential soffits replacement. (under 25 sq. ft.). (contractor required)
  • Residential solar blanket for residential pool heating (PV or other kinds of solar heating requires a permit).
  • Residential stucco installation (under 25 sq. ft.). (contractor required)
  • Asphalt or gravel driveways (must be individually reviewed; may require a Right-of-Way Permit).
  • Door panel only replacement (no frame).
  • Electrical fixture replacements, like for like. (contractor required)
  • Flagpoles. Although a permit is not required, there are other requirements as follows: 
    • A flagpole must adhere to the height limitations of the Zoning District in which the flagpole is to be located.
    • A flagpole must not be located within an easement unless the owner obtained an approved Occupation of Easement through the County’s Real Estate Services Division.
    • The flagpole must not impede visibility and must be located outside of any visibility triangle.
    • Call 800.432.4770 within 2 business days before digging.
  • Glass only replacement in windows & doors.
  • Minor repairs meeting the criteria of Section 105.2.2 Minor Repairs of the 2014 Florida Building Code.
  • Pasture/wire mesh fencing on acreage for agricultural purposes only.
  • Plumbing fixture replacements, like for like. (contractor required)
  • Re-screening.
  • River rock installation.
  • Roof repairs less than 100 sq. ft. ("1 square") where the work does not include repairs to trusses or rafters.
  • Screen door replacement.
  • Screening existing covered patios, balconies, carports, lanais or porches with typical insect screening, which neither increases nor alters the footprint of the building.
  • Solar powered attic exhaust fans. (contractor required)
  • Tents which are 400 sq. ft. or less and will not be used to seat more than 50 persons.
  • Tile replacement of a floor in a tub/shower (if the work includes shower pan replacement, then a permit is required).

Delivering Exceptional Service

Questions? Issues?

Contact Us